Saturday, June 22, 2019

Impulsive

So I should be sewing doll clothes for a trade that will happen soon, but my brain said, "nah" and I sewed this completely unplanned dress today



 It's another variation on Simplicity 9153, because that is a fast basic pattern...from which I deviated wildly, as always.  In addition to the usual "cut the skirt on the fold instead of using the entire center-seamed fullness" and the frequent "add a curved contrast band to the bottom of the gently A-line skirt" and the "someday I'll figure out a consistent way to round the neckline, until then I have to generate a front facing every time," I also lengthened the bodice a bit.  How much?  I have no idea--whatever it took to use up the full length of the burgundy and navy horizontal stripe chenille remnant that PhantasmCreations gave me (thanks again!)


 I tried using the larger hem roller for the sleeves, and it worked beautifully.

It was only last night--maybe the night before--that I pulled the chenille remnant out of the doll cloth stash and realized that there was enough for this bodice.  The reason I got it out of the stash was because I had navy thread in the machine and wanted to sew a lot of doll clothes in colors that would work with it, but then my brain balked and I started digging out fabrics from my human-size cloth stash that would work with navy thread.  The chenille coordinated beautifully with a lot of them.

 But this thrifted wax print was not one of them
Still, I decided it would be The One.  As with most of my thrifted wax prints, there was only about a meter, and, as with all wax prints, the print was cross grain, so I knew there wouldn't be quite as much skirt as optimum

...and then I kinda forgot that I had added a few inches to the bodice and decided a band at the bottom was necessary to keep it firmly defined as a dress and not a tunic. This is solidly knee-length.
 This was the print I wanted to use first, but I also want to use this print for an entire dress and didn't want to give up any yardage from that potential project for this one.  I shuffled through the stash, but decided, enh, why not, and went back to this.  It's not like I'd be averse to using a contrast in a dress made otherwise of this print.

 Rolled hem attachment for the skirt hem again
 still not great at finishing it.

 The pockets are made from the same weirdly symmetric print as the neckline facing--not that you can see it here, but doesn't the area look like a disgruntled bird?

Unexciting back view.  I'm not sure what I think of this dress, but it made for some nice close-up photos, and, most importantly, it's finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment