Monday, December 19, 2016

Periwinkle and red

So I thrifted a few yards of a...sorta...dusty periwinkle heavy knit, and decided I'd use some of it to make a hoodie for the kiddo, once again using Burda 9672

(yes, I know, the separating-zipper view is not the hooded view.  Minor quibble.)

 The only separating zippers in the appropriate length I had were white, gray, and bright red.  I couldn't decide between the white or gray, so I showed all of the options to the kiddo and let him decide.

He chose the red zipper.

Well...then...

Huh.

I'm sure he would have had no problem with a purely periwinkle hoodie with a red zipper, but my brain demanded that something else be done so the red zipper would 'make sense'...somehow.

Ah, but, I had about a half yard of a red double jersey knit!  As to what I did with it...



Cut strips (using the zipper as a width guide) and start adding them everywhere!

 (and also discover that the periwinkle knit is not stretchy enough to use in lieu of ribbing, but, hey, the red is...)

 The pocket edges were the first places I decided to add the red, because it's always easier to turn curves when there's another piece of cloth involved. (And please ignore that bit that looks mis-sewn where the body/pocket meets the waistband.  It's fine.)

 
 And then I added the sleeve stripes, using the same zipper-width strips as used to edge the pockets.  That process was a "learn as I go" experience.  It took three tries to get the lower edge of the lower stripe to look decent--still not anywhere near perfect, but they don't look so bad from a standard viewing distance.

(I'm also amused by how the thread, which is a fairly good match for the periwinkle, manages to flip over to looking yellowish when viewed against the red.  Reminds me of some of the exercises we did in one of my college art courses...)

 
 I decided against trying to appliqué something large and red on the back.  I suspect that "me" and "knit appliqué" would not be a good combination.

 I used more of the zip width knit strips to conceal the seam allowances inside the hood--by this time, I'd finally figured out what to do (namely, iron over one edge before applying by sewing on the raw edge, flipping, topstitching, then topstitching the ironed edge...and then picking out the other edge's original stitching.)  I also decided to use a strip to make a bit of a facing on the hood front edge.
 The zipper tape is not completely encased in the zip width knit strip bit facing, but it's not too glaringly obvious. (And I forgot to take a picture of it.)
I did make this in size 10, so it's a bit long for the kiddo's eight-year-old arms, but he doesn't mind. (And maybe it'll be a few years before he outgrows it.)  You can see a bit of the zipper tape sticking out of the hoodie facing in this photo, as well as the pretty good job I did matching the stripes at the sleeve seam.

He did wear this to school today, along with the fluffy spring thaw camo pull-over made from the same pattern.  I feel accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment