Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sewing! For humans! To wear!

Soooo, there was a Kindergarten Round Up Thingy this evening.  I asked myself, did I want to wear something that said "I'm not like you, but I'm nice" or "I'm not like you, deal with it"? (The other option, something that said "HALLYWEEEEN 5EVA!!!!!!," was fairly easy to reject...but also negated a large part of my existing wardrobe and quite a bit of my cloth stash...)  I decided the "nice" option would be the most polite, so yesterday I grabbed some black broadcloth, Advance 8984
...and some strawberry shapes I'd randomly made from calico and the dregs of the Pellon Wonder Under I've kept forgetting (for, like, 20 years) that I have. 
I know I should get into the habit of taking photos of projects as I'm working on them, but I haven't yet developed (wait, was that a pun?) that habit.  My excuse this time is that I needed to work fast(ish) if I wanted to have the dress ready to wear by 5 this afternoon.

I chose View 2, which I've made before, and, as before, I didn't make the skirt as the pattern directs, since I didn't want to use that much cloth.  The pattern's skirt is a gathered A-line--voluminously so, but still A-line.  To save time and materials, I went with a simple dirndl skirt, the entire width of the cloth for the front and another entire width for the back, no cutting required.  (*rrrrrriiiiiip*)  I also added a pocket to the seam that didn't have the zipper.  The only change I made on the top was adjusting the front arm opening, as the other version of this I'd made was uncomfortably chafe-y there.  I will note that the person who originally owned this pattern had cut the bodice pieces with a bit of extra tissue left at the sides and bottom, and I followed that the first time I used this pattern and it worked out well, so I followed that again for this iteration.

I used the straight stitch foot, the hem rolling foot, the zig-zag foot + blind hem guide, the ruffler, the zipper foot, and the zig-zag foot alone.  This amuses me.  What?  It does.

Anyway.

The dress.

That's cheerful, right?

In action
*ssssssssuuuunnn hhhhiiissssss*

I did get a few compliments on the dress, all from school staff.  I think that says something...I'm just not sure what...

No comments:

Post a Comment